Girl confined, raped for 40 days; rescued

Girl confined, raped for 40 days; rescued

JAIPUR: An 18-year-old girl was rescued by Sanganer police from a contractor who had confined him to his house in Mansarovar for 40 days and allegedly raped her several times in Sanganer area.

The girl alleged that the accused kept her drugged. The police admitted the girl in a hospital after she fled the house and informed the police on Monday.

According to police, the girl was missing from her house, a resident of Shyopur. She called up the police from a place near Dhanwantari Hospital requesting them to rescue her. Police found her in a semi-conscious state due to drugs and injuries on her body.

In her statement to the police, the girl stated that she met one Giriraj Bairwa on May 27. “Giriraj, a contractor, offered her job at a construction site and took her along with him to a house in Mansarovar. He drugged her there using psychotropic substance, so that she could not rescue. The girl says that he raped her every day,” said a police officer.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/jaipur/Girl-confined-raped-for-40-days-rescued/articleshow/47980182.cms

Kottakkal sex scandal gets murkier

Kottakkal sex scandal gets murkier

MALAPPURAM: The sex scandal involving a Kottakkal family became murkier on Tuesday with the police detaining a 19-year-old for allegedly raping his stepsisters—aged 12 and 11—and nine-year-old stepbrother.

The detained youth’s mother (37) and stepfather (50) were arrested on Monday, based on the 12-year-old girl’s complaint that they had forced her into flesh trade and presented to over 40 persons during the past two years. Some of the abusers, police said, were prominent persons in and around Kottakkal.

The girl’s ordeal came to light when the Class VI student confided the matter to Malappuram Childline counsellors, who visited her school on Monday. She reportedly told them that her mother was expanding the illicit trade in collusion with local agents.

Following the revelation, the girl was shifted to the social justice department-run shelter home on Monday itself. She was produced before a court on Tuesday after a medical examination, which confirmed rape.

Childline officials said the girl’s father—a driver-cum-marriage broker—solicited customers by showing them the 12-year-old’s photograph, and charged them anywhere between Rs 3,000 and Rs 5,000.

Police have charged her parents under sections 5 and 6 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) Act, Section 376 and 354 of IPC and Section 23 of the Juvenile Justice Act.

Childline volunteers Muhsin Pari, Ruby Raj, Rashid Tirur and Rajish Babu, who visited her house on Tuesday, was in for another shock when the girl’s 11-year-old sister accused her stepbrother of raping her for “more than 100 times” in the past two years. The younger boy, too, said he had been sodomized by the same man.

Police said the youth abused the children with the knowledge of their parents. “We have confirmed that the minor girl had been abused by her brother. He has been detained and his arrest will be recorded soon,” district Childline coordinator Anwar Karakkadan said.

The arrested man is the woman’s second husband, and they have five children, Karakkadan said. The woman have another two children, including the detained youth, from her first husband, whose whereabouts were not immediately known. Except her eldest 24-year-old daughter, the remaining six lived with her.

Childline has now shifted all the children, the youngest aged four, to the shelter home. Though the couple claimed that they got married 15 years ago, they could not produce a certificate.

The district police chief, meanwhile, convened a meeting on Tuesday and asked Tirur DSP to monitor the case. The family had shifted from Kozhikode to a rented accommodation in Kottakkal three years ago, police said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/thiruvananthapuram/Kottakkal-sex-scandal-gets-murkier/articleshow/47980269.cms

No dedicated court for POCSO cases

No dedicated court for POCSO cases

NEW DELHI: An RTI reply has revealed that there is no designated court in Delhi to exclusively try offences against children under the POCSO Act.

The reply, furnished in response to an RTI query by advocate Gaurav Bansal and now part of court records in Delhi high court, reveals that special courts set up to try crimes against children under POCSO are burdened with cases of human rights violations and cases under SEBI, MCOCA and TADA. “As per office records the court of ASJ-01 is functioning as children court/human rights court/drugs & cosmetics acts 1940/ POCSO Act/SEBI/TADA/POTA/MCOCA,” the reply states.

TOI has also accessed a letter written last year by a POCSO special judge to the court administration on the same issue. The letter, made public recently, points out that “many children come to court daily for deposition. It is not conducive and advisable to expose children to MCOCA accused who are brought to court in handcuffs and fetters,” the letter by a Rohini additional sessions judge states.

The judge adds that offences against women and children are increasing day by day. “Voices are being raised in society to expedite such cases…vast number of cases under POCSO pertain to rape which are very time consuming,” the judge explains, arguing that if other offences are also to be heard by the same court, mandate of the POCSO Act gets violated.

Sections 35 of the Act makes it mandatory for a special POCSO court to record evidence of child victims within 30 days of taking cognizance and dispose it within one year. In his letter, the sessions judge wonders how the deadline be adhered to if other cases are to be also decided by the special court. “Soon a day will come when we will need at least two designated courts in each district to deal with cases under POCSO Act.”

This is not the first time the need for dedicated courts for POCSO has reached HC. Bansal had filed a PIL last year questioning why the state government conferred powers of special public prosecutors of POCSO on each additional public prosecutor attached with sessions courts. It also urged HC to ensure POCSO courts don’t take up other cases, thereby delaying justice to children.

Earlier, the court had on Bansal’s plea directed that the government appoint independent special public prosecutors in each complex.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/No-dedicated-court-for-POCSO-cases/articleshow/47980845.cms

Thailand trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

Thailand trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

KOH SAMUI, Thailand: Ten months after two British tourists were killed on a resort island in Thailand, prosecutors called their first witnesses Wednesday in a case marked by claims that the accused — two migrant workers from Myanmar — were tortured into confessing.

Following widespread attention, the case has been called a test for Thailand’s justice system and its treatment of migrant laborers.

The battered bodies of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found Sept. 15 on the rocky shores of Koh Tao, a scenic island in the Gulf of Thailand known for its scuba diving. Autopsies showed that the young backpackers, who had met on the island while staying at the same hotel, had both suffered severe head wounds and that Witheridge had been raped.

The first policeman on the scene, Lt. Jakrapan Kaewkao, told the court that he got a call at 6:30 am that morning about two tourists’ bodies found on the beach. He said he arrived to find a gruesome sight.

“I found a man’s body lying on the beach with seawater lapping his body,” said Jakrapan, the prosecution’s first witness. “Then I found the woman’s body behind the rocks.” The rocks were spotted with blood, he said. The two bodies were several meters (yards) apart and both were mostly unclothed, with Witheridge’s body bearing signs of physical assault, he said.

Inside the small courtroom on Koh Samui, an island near Koh Tao, the accused sat in orange prison uniforms with their legs shackled.

The two men — Win Zaw Htun and Zaw Lin, both 22 — were arrested in early October and initially confessed to the killings but then retracted their statements, saying they were extracted through beatings and threats, which police deny. Human rights groups repeatedly called for an independent investigation and raised concerns that the men might be scapegoats.

The accused were indicted on several charges related to the murders and to illegally working in Thailand. Prosecutors say they have a solid case against them that includes DNA evidence linking them to the crime.

Journalists were initially allowed into the small courtroom, which seats about 30 people, but then ushered out to make room for relatives of the victims, diplomats and others attending the trial. Prosecutors were also expected to call to the stand a doctor who examined the bodies.

“We hope the truth will be revealed,” defense lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat said as he headed into the courtroom. “We hope the mechanism of justice in Thailand … will have the same standards of international countries.”

From the start, the case raised questions about police competence. Investigators faced a variety of criticisms, including their failure to secure the crime scene and their releasing of several names and pictures of suspects who turned out to be innocent.

Under intense pressure to solve the case, which drew global attention, police carried out DNA tests on more than 200 people on Koh Tao.

Concerns that the men were tortured by police originated with advocates for migrant workers, who are often abused and mistreated without the safeguard of rights held by Thai citizens. But the allegations caught the attention of the British government, which expressed concern to Thai authorities about the way the investigation was being conducted. As a result, British police were allowed to observe the case assembled by their Thai counterparts.

The victims’ families traveled to Koh Samui for the trial and issued a joint statement.

Witheridge’s family urged the media not to focus on the “speculation, rumor and theory” that has surrounded the case, making “an unthinkable time harder to bear.”

Miller’s family said that just hours before he died, their son called home and described the beauty of Koh Tao and the friendliness of the Thai people. “Over the coming weeks we hope to gain a better understanding as to how such a wonderful young man lost his life in such idyllic surroundings in such a horrible way,” they said in a statement.

About 2.5 million people from Myanmar work in Thailand, most as domestic servants or in low-skilled manual labor industries like construction, fisheries or the garment sector.

The gruesome killings tarnished the image of Thailand’s tourism industry, which has been struggling to recover after the army staged a coup in and imposed martial law in May 2014.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/Thailand-trial-opens-for-2-accused-of-killing-British-tourists/articleshow/47983445.cms

Harassment by hubby, in-laws drives young woman to suicide

Harassment by hubby, in-laws drives young woman to suicide

VITTAL : In a tragic incident reported from Vittal , a young woman has chosen to end

her life by consuming poison, frustrated and agonized by the continuous torture and

assault by her husband and in-laws.

The deceased has been identified as Hajira,wife of Ahmed Hameed, presently working

overseas, and a resident of Maddadka village in Belthangady taluk. The couple?s three

year old girl child has been rendered orphan with the suicide of its mother.

Hajira (26) was given in marriage to Hameed in January 2007. Jewellery weighing 50

sovereigns was given as dowry at the time of marriage. Though the couple were in good

terms for one year after marriage, later Hameed left for the Gulf. He was then a totally

changed man and used to telephone Hajira and tell her that he is married there and ask

her to lead a life on her own. Meanwhile, it is learnt, even her in-laws including her

brother-in-law, sister-in-law and mother- law used to mentally and physically torture her.

Once earlier, a complaint had also been lodged in the Belthangady police station in this

regard.

Unable to bear harassment, Hajira had moved to her parental house six months ago. Still,

Hameed used to telephone her and demand talaq. On March 31, Hajira who decided

to end her life, consumed ice cream mixed with rat poison. Though she was admitted

to a private hospital in Puttur, later she was shifted to the AJ Hospital in Mangalore,

where she succumbed on April 7.Hajira?s parents have now lodged a complaint against

Hameed and his family members and have alleged that the torture meted out by them had

resulted in the suicide of their daughter. The complaints have been made to senior police

officials tahsildar, Department of Women and Child Development and Human Rights

http://thecanaratimes.com/epaper/index.php/archives/9695