Udupi: Youth dies because of cloth left out in abdomen during surgery

Udupi: Youth dies because of cloth left out in abdomen during surgery

Udupi, Jun 12: A youth from Chidradurga district died after getting admitted into a hospital in Manipal to address complication arising out of the mistake of a surgeon who mistakenly left out cloth inside his body after surgery, on Thursday June 11.

The deceased has been identified as Venkatesh (24), son of Hosur Chandrappa from Doddapura in Chitradurga district.

Venkatesh and Krishna, children of farmer couple, Chandrappa and Gowramma, worked as drivers. Both of them were not married. Venkatesh started suffering from abdominal pain since March this year. He had visited a private hospital in Chitradurga seeking treatment. The doctors who conducted scan, told him that he had to undergo appendicitis surgery. He got admitted as an in-patient on March 24, and after surgery, he was discharged on April 7. Venkatesh continued to suffer from abdominal pain, and again visited the hospital on May 13. The doctors told him that everything would be alright in course of time.

As there was no improvement in his health condition, Venkatesh got admitted into a hospital at Manipal on May 25. During scanning, the doctors fond that a cloth had been left inside, and that flesh had grown around the cloth. Surgery was performed to remove the towel, but Venkatesh breathed his last on Thursday.

A complaint was filed at Chidradurga police station. After the policemen of that station arrive at Manipal, postmortem would be conducted and the body would be handed over to relatives, it is learnt.

Maternal uncles of Venkatesh, Tippeswamy and Devaraj, alleged that the doctors at the private hospital in Chitradurga had cut the small intestine instead of appendix and left a cloth inside. ‘The doctors kept telling us that his health condition will improve, but after we told them that we had decided to take him to Manipal, did they confess to their blunder,’ they said.

Brother of the deceased, Krishna, too echoed similar sentiments, adding that the doctor who was responsible for this mistake has to be punished.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=326905

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s