PUCLblog

Juvenile held on charge of murder of two brothers

Juvenile held on charge of murder of two brothers

The HSR Layout police arrested a 16-year-old boy on charge of murder of two brothers aged 16 and 17, allegedly under the influence of drugs, in a shack in Chikkanayakanahalli in HSR Layout recently.

The boys were allegedly beaten to death with a wooden log. Their bodies were found on April 19.

After allegedly committing the crime, the 16-year-old escaped to a village near Hosur in Tamil Nadu.

According to the police, the arrested boy and the 17-year-old dead boy had been arrested on theft charge in 2013 and sent to home for boys last year.

While at the remand home, the two boys blamed each other for getting caught and that led to frequent fights between them. However, after their release the duo ganged up and started moving around together since they had a habit of inhaling erasing solution, the police said.

On April 9, the two brothers met the 16-year-old boy, who has been arrested now, at the village fest. Then the three boys allegedly bought drugs to a shack in Chikkanayakanahalli. A little later, the trio started arguing with one another under the influence of drugs. The argument turned violent when the 16-year-old, in a fit of rage, bludgeoned the brothers with a wooden log and escaped. The brothers sustained head injuries and died due to severe bleeding. The murder came to light when some passersby noticed the highly decomposed bodies and informed the police.

Investigations revealed that the 16-year-old boy was the last person to have met the murdered brothers. The police traced him to a village in Hosur and arrested him.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/juvenile-held-on-charge-of-murder-of-two-brothers/article5939142.ece

PUCLblog

Advocate barred from SC for sexual harassment

Advocate barred from SC for sexual harassment

 

Chief Justice of India P. Sathasivam has passed an order debarring a lawyer from the entering the Supreme Court premises for six months as he was found guilty of sexual harassment by the Gender Sensitisation and Internal Complaints Committee (GSICC) of the apex Court.

The CJI passed this order after taking into consideration the report of GSICC dated March 4, which unanimously accepted the report of the internal sub-committee dated February 21, recommending prohibition of entry to C.S. Nagesh into the court precincts for a specified period extending up to a maximum period of one year.

The CJI said: “In the first instance, six-month bar on entry into the Supreme Court precincts would suffice considering the fact that, except the instant case, no other incident of this nature relating to Mr. Nagesh has been reported. This penalty, in my view, would not only allow him to redeem himself but would also operate as a deterrent against him.”

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-tamilnadu/advocate-barred-from-sc-for-sexual-harassment/article5939189.ece

PUCLblog

Lokayukta orders action against former directors of Mines and Geology

Lokayukta orders action against former directors of Mines and Geology

 

Those who worked during 1986 to 2010 responsible for violation of rules’

Lokayukta Y. Bhaskar Rao has ordered the State government to initiate disciplinary action against directors of the Department of Mines and Geology who had served between 1986 and 2010 for granting lease to Sri Kumarswamy Mineral Exports(SKME) Pvt. Ltd.

‘Cancel mining lease’

In another order, Dr. Rao has directed the government to cancel or reject the mining lease granted to SKME and initiate criminal proceedings against the company within three months for violating provisions of the Forest (Conservation) Act by extracting iron ore from an area it was not permitted to.

On a complaint filed by Mohammed Tanveer of Bellary that those holding the director’s post prior to 2010 had allegedly connived with SKME in granting mining lease and permitting the company to extract iron ore, Dr. Rao took up the investigation and passed the orders on March 13, 2014.

Mr. Tanveer had complained that SKME had been carrying out mining illegally in the area that did not belong to it and was neither granted by the State government. Despite bringing this aspect to the department’s notice, no action was taken against the company, he had alleged. He had accused the department Director and the Commerce and Industries Secretary of conniving with SKME with an ulterior motive.

Mr. Tanveer had said that SKME had sought grant of mining lease in 1986 to extract iron ore in 259 hectares of land in Yeshwantnagar village of Sandur taluk in Bellary district. In its application, SKME had said that the land for which lease was being sought fell outside the reserved zone and it had appended a sketch of the area.

During the course of inquiry, however, it was found that the area where mining took place was within the reserved zone where there was high quality iron ore. It was also found that there was violation of rules and regulations in executing the mining lease in favour of SKME and the then director of Mines and Geology, who had scrutinised the lease application, was to be held responsible, the order said.

“The then directors of Mines and Geology, who had scrutinised and recommended the mining lease application of SKME and allowed the firm to continue illegal mining from the date of grant of first mining lease and mislead the government holding that the company’s lease and mining was in accordance of law, are responsible for the violation of rules and regulations.

Accordingly, the directors who worked during 1986 to 2010 are found to be responsible for the misconduct and dereliction of duty,” the order said.

It also said that “a careful consideration of documents and facts of the case prima facie shows that the then directors of the Department of Mines and Geology had failed to maintain absolute devotion to duty and thereby committed misconduct under Section 3 (1) (iii) of the Karnataka Civil Services (Conduct) Rules and make themselves liable for disciplinary action.”

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/lokayukta-orders-action-against-former-directors-of-mines-and-geology/article5939298.ece

PUCLblog

George says, handing over Kabeer killing case to CBI will demoralize his department

George says, handing over Kabeer killing case to CBI will demoralize his department

kj_goerge

Bangalore, Apr 22: Karnataka Home Minister K J George once again refused to pay heed to the demand for a CBI probe into the killing of a youth by Anti-Naxal Force personnel at a check-post near Sringeri in Chikmagalur district, even as a section of his partymen insisted on probe by the central probe agency.

He also argued that handing over the case to CBI would demoralise his department, however, he was not against taking such a step.

On several occasions in the past the government has given some cases to CBI, George said.

“The CID is competent to investigate the incident and the government would take appropriate action once the probe report is submitted,” he told reporters here.

The Anti-Naxal Force personnel had shot dead Kabeer at Tanikodu check-post on Sringeri–Karkala Road on April 19.

George said he has told the CID officials to expedite the preliminary report and they have assured him that they would submit it in the next two to three days.

The Karnataka Muslim Federation, led by Information Minister Roshan Baig and veteran Congress leader Janardhan Poojary have urged Siddaramaiah to hand over the investigation to CBI.

George said there is nothing wrong in Poojary demanding a CBI enquiry into the matter, but he could only decide after the submission of the preliminary report.

“Moreover, I am only a recommending authority. The decision to hand over any case to the CBI rests on the Chief Minister,” he contended.

http://www.coastaldigest.com/index.php/news/63955-george-says-handing-over-kabeer-killing-case-to-cbi-will-demoralize-his-department

PUCLblog

Teachers in India force Muslim students to clean toilets, says HRW

Teachers in India force Muslim students to clean toilets, says HRW

indiaNew Delhi, Apr 22: Some Indian teachers force children from lower castes and minority religions to clean toilets and sit separately from their classmates as part of “persistent” discrimination in classrooms, a rights group said on Tuesday.

Human Rights Watch said pupils from marginalised communities often dropped out of school and started working as labourers rather than face continued humiliation at the hands of teachers and principals.

The 77-page study on schools was compiled through interviews with more than 160 teachers, principals, parents and students in four states which have large populations of low-caste poor, indigenous tribals and Muslims.

“India’s immense project to educate all its children risks falling victim to deeply rooted discrimination by teachers and other school staff against the poor and marginalised,” said the report’s author Jayshree Bajoria.

“Instead of encouraging children from at-risk communities who are often the first in their families to ever step inside a classroom, teachers often neglect or even mistreat them,” she said.

Children from Muslim communities were among those often made to sit at the back of classrooms or in separate rooms. They were called derogatory names, were denied leadership roles and were served food last, the report said.

The report comes as a mammoth general election is underway which is likely to vault Narendra Modi and BJP to power after a decade of Congress party rule.

Some children said they were segregated and neglected because they were considered dirty, while Muslim students said they were called “mullahs”, a term for an Islamic cleric, instead of by their names.

India’s Parliament passed landmark legislation in 2009 that guarantees state schooling for children aged six to 14 and enrolments have reached more than 90 percent nationally.

But HRW said the law does not contain punishments for those who discriminate in the classroom.

Most education authorities have failed to establish proper mechanisms to monitor and track children, who were at risk of dropping out, and acting to ensure they were able to remain in school, the report said.

http://www.coastaldigest.com/index.php/news/63958-teachers-in-india-force-muslim-students-to-clean-toilets-says-hrw